|Model Type||Phantom V|
|Manufacture||Rolls Royce Limited|
|Registration Plate||1964 HL|
|No. of Seats (Inc Driver)||7|
|Interior Type||Beige Leather and Walnut Veneer Wood|
This elegant James Young Phantom V Limousine in dark navy has been extensively restored throughout. The rear seating compartment has recently been re-trimmed in beige leather and features walnut veneer wood. Presented in immaculate condition. Seats 3 (plus 2 occasional seats, seating a maximum of 5 to the rear) and one in the front.
The Phantom V is a large, ultra-exclusive four-door saloon that was made by Rolls-Royce Limited from 1959 to 1968. Based on the Silver Cloud II, it shared a V8 engine and General Motors Hydramatic automatic gearbox with its smaller sibling. Rolls-Royce assembled the cars’ chassis and drivetrains with bodies made to standard designs by coachbuilders H. J. Mulliner, Park Ward, and James Young, former vendors absorbed by Rolls-Royce.
The engine was a 6,230 cc 90-degree V8 with twin SU carburetors, coupled to a 4-speed automatic transmission. The car had massive drum brakes and a wheelbase of 3,683 mm. Four speed automatic transmission and power assisted steering were standard.
From 1963 onward the Silver Cloud III’s 7% more powerful engine and new front wings incorporating the latter’s quad headlamps were fitted.
A total of 516 Phantom V’s were made.
King Olav V of Norway owned a 1962 limousine as a state car. Yugoslav president Josip Broz Tito had Rolls-Royce Phantom V in presidential collection for representative purposes. The car is now displayed at the Museum of Yugoslavia, Belgrade.
Then Beatle John Lennon’s Phantom V, a 1960s counter-culture icon, came from the factory finished in white, with Lennon commissioning the custom paint job atop it in the style of a Romany gypsy wagon (not “psychedelic” as often referenced).